|Wild mushroom, three cheese truffle mac n' cheese|
Is it possible to die from overindulgence? This mac n' cheese recipe has left me reeling - I feel like so many personal boundaries have been crossed that I don't even really know what's right anymore.
Whilst in Brooklyn over the summer, I came across a "truffle mac n cheese" dish that unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to try (an elaborate way of saying I'd already eaten 2 dinners that day) but the idea of which has stayed floating around in the back of my head ever since. My fantasy became reality when I adapted the recipe from this website. With the inclusion of red wine-soaked porcini mushrooms, truffle oil and three different cheeses, this was easily the richest meal I've ever eaten.
25g dried porcini mushrooms
3 spring onions, sliced finely
a glug of red wine
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
4 oz Roquefort cheese, crumbled
4 oz cheddar, grated
4 oz grated parmigiano reggiano, separated in 2 2oz piles
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp fresh chopped rosemary
1 tsp fresh chopped sage
3 tbsp white truffle oil
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
A few handfuls panko breadcrumbs
10 oz macaroni
salt and pepper
1) Mix red wine in a measuring jug with 250ml hot water and leave porcini mushrooms to soak for about 10 minutes. Strain and roughly chop the mushrooms.
2) Preheat oven to 400F/gas mark 6. Heat the olive oil in a pan, then add mushrooms and onions and sautee gently (stirring occasionally) for about 10 minutes, until caramelised.
3) Season with salt and pepper, then add the white wine vinegar. Turn the heat up and let the vinegar evaporate, then take off the heat and leave aside.
4) Now, the cheese sauce! Melt the butter in a saucepan and then add the flour, stirring continuously for about 30 seconds. Add the herbs and chili flakes, and stir for a further 30 seconds.
5) Slowly pour the milk into the saucepan, whisking so there are no lumps. Bring the sauce to a simmer so it can thicken, stirring occasionally.
6) Whilst waiting for the sauce to thicken, cook the macaroni (for 2 minutes less than it says on the packet).
7) When the sauce starts to simmer, add the cheeses and and truffle oil, stirring until the cheese has melted. Take off the heat and season with black pepper.
8) Mix together the macaroni, cheese sauce and mushrooms, then tip it all into a big glass or ceramic dish and scatter the panko and remaining parmesan cheese over the top. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden and crispy on top. Serve with spicy cornbread!
Now, make this: